The first anniversary of the liberation of Warsaw.
monument for Poniatowski on Victory Square
The Zygmunt column is A 22 meters high statue of Zygmunt III Waza on the Castle Square in Warsaw, erected in 1644. The bronze monument represents king Zygmunt III Waza in a coronation cloak over a suit of armour, a sabre and a cross in his hands.
Zygmunt III Waza was king of Poland (1587-1632) and Sweden (1592-1599). His Swedish name is Sigismund Vasa. He moved the capital from Krakˇw to Warsaw.
St. John's cathedral
The impressive "Vistula Gothic" style church is the oldest church in Warsaw. It was totally destroyed during the Warsaw Uprising due to its key role as a defence post for the Old Town but rebuilt in the Gothic style after the war. The Baryczkowski Crucifix from Nurnburg is renowned for the expressiveness on the face of the crucified Christ. The red marble Renaissance tombs of the last Mazowian dukes and the tombs are downstairs in the crypt. Nobel Prize winner Henryk Sienkiewicz is burried here. (Source: travel.yahoo.com)
The old town hall
In the past, the market square of old Warsaw was a completely different square. In the center the town hall and stalls were situated. The town hall was a building that served the municipal government of Warsaw. The first references about the town hall date from the 15th century. The town hall in its gothic form dates from the year 1580. Antonim de Ralia rebuilt it in Dutch style. The town hall was dissected in 1817. (Source: Polbox)
The Poniatowski monument
This monument was made by the Danish sculptor Bertel Thorwaldsen. In 1829 a plaster cast was transported to Warsaw and in 1830 the moulding of the bronze monument started. It was finished in the August 1832. In 1834, by special order, the tsar forbid the placement of the monument. Later, the tsar gave it to general Ivan Paskevich, which moved it to his residence at Homel. The monument returned to Poland in 1922. The monument was unveiled on the Saski square, but in World War Two it was completely destroyed. A new mould, made after the old model, was a gift from the inhabitants of Kopenhagen.
The Holy Cross church
The Holy Cross Church (Kosciˇl Swieta Krzyza) is the most popular church among Varsovians. The church was built according to a design by the Italian Bellotti at the end of the seventeenth century. Its fašade with two towers was begun in the first half of the eighteenth century on a design by Jozef Fontana and completed by Jakub Fontana in the second half of the century. The statue of Christ Carrying the Cross, which enriches the stairs, dates back to 1858. The church is well known because an urn containing Fryderyk Chopin's heart is kept inside one of its pillars.
Warszawa wolna 17 Styczen 1945 - 1946 = Free Warsaw 17 January 1945 - 1946.
The original stamps without overprints (Fischer 380-385)
World War II
Bombing of Warsaw in World War II
(Rocznica Oswobodzenia - Wroclawia = Liberation day - Wroclaw)