The General Government (for the occupied Polish areas), in German Generalgouvernement (für die besetzten polnischen Gebiete) was the name given by Germany to the governing authority in Poland after its occupation by the Wehrmacht in September and October 1939.
Following the German invasion of Poland in World War II, parts of Poland were attached to Germany. The remaining south-west rump became the Generalgouvernement with Krakau (Kraków) replacing Warsaw as its capital.
Borders of the German Empire on 1 August 1941.
Selection of stamps issued by the General Government from 1939 through 1944.