Recovery of Cieszyń
Fischer 309 | Michel 330 | Scott 334 | Year of issue 1938 | Pre-war Poland
Cieszyń is a border town in the south of Poland, divided by the river Olza, which was chosen as the border between Poland and Czechoslovakia in 1920 after the collapse of the Austrian empire. On 2 October 1938, the Polish army took Zaolzie, the part of Cieszyń west of the river Olza, which was Czechoslovakian territory after 1918 (called Cesky Tesin by the Czechs). The Poles were driven out by the Germans less than a year later. The Polish and the Czechoslovakian governments-in-exile continued their quarrel over the town. Stalin's solution to the dispute was the same as that of 1920. The town still remains split. The German name Teschen comes from an ancient duchy. Cieszyń was the capital of this duchy.
A miner, a farmer, a pioneer and an allegory of the motherland in the shape of the woman's dress
Powrót Zaolzia do macierzy = The return of Zaolzie to the motherland.